Last updated: 21/11/2014
This website www.redballoon.com.au/ www.redballoon.co.nz (the Site) is used by RedBalloon to give visitors and customers (Users) access to various products and services (the Services).
What we will do with a user’s personal information
- All personal information that RedBalloon or its related bodies corporate collect is reasonably necessary for the purposes relating to providing our services to Users. The purposes include:
(a) process a booking and/or order (for example but not limited to sending order confirmation and booking confirmation details)
(b) enable RedBalloon to communicate effectively, e.g. respond to any questions, concerns, or problems raised by the User
(c) enhance functionality of the Site and Services when a User is logged in, e.g. but not limited to personalised recommendations and submission of customer feedback.
- If someone other than the individual provides us with personal information about an individual, that we did not ask for and we determine that we could have collected this information from the individual had we asked for it, we will notify the individual as soon as practicable. This notice will be given unless to do so would be in breach of an obligation of confidence. If we could not have collected this information, we will lawfully de identify or destroy that personal information.
What personal information we collect from you
- We request information from Users prior to their making a purchase or booking, for example contact information (like name, phone number, email address and delivery/ billing address). If there is an enquiry or trouble is experienced when processing an order or booking, this contact information is used to contact the User. This information will be saved for future orders and/ or bookings.
- In order to facilitate purchases we also request financial information (like credit card number, expiration date). No credit card details are retained under any circumstances.
- In order to provide the best possible service to our customers we record all calls handled by our Customer Happiness team for coaching and training purposes. At the beginning of each call you will be given the opportunity to request that your call is not recorded. Call recordings are stored for 48 hours after which time they will be deleted.
- We will not generally collect any sensitive information from you, revealing your: race, ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union memberships or details of health or disability which we consider are unnecessary to our function.
- The User will also be given the option to sign up for our email newsletter. Once subscribed, RedBalloon may use personal information about the User for the primary purpose of providing User with services from RedBalloon or its partner suppliers, and for other purposes for which you would reasonably expect us to use that information. This includes sending the User information about new 'experiences', products, services and special offers by post, telephone or any form of electronic communication. By subscribing, the User authorises RedBalloon to use any email address or other contact information he/she has provided at any time for this purpose. The User will also be given the opportunity to 'opt-out' of receiving emailed information or other correspondence, by simply clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any newsletter email they receive from us. The User agrees and acknowledges that even if he/she opts out of receiving marketing material, RedBalloon may still send the User essential information that it is legally required to send the User relating to the services they have acquired from us.
What we will not do with a user’s personal information
- RedBalloon will keep a user’s personal information confidential and not sell or knowingly divulge user information to advertisers or any other third parties other than our partner suppliers or intermediaries, in order to supply, or assist in the supply of a service e.g. Experience Providers and our customer feedback platform, and booking engines. RedBalloon will take reasonable steps to ensure that these organisations are bound by privacy obligations in relation to the protection of User's personal information. Other than to partners, we will not share a user’s personal information, unless:
(a) we are required to share your information with a third party in order to comply with the law or to comply with a court order or subpoena;
(b) to enforce our Site rules;
(c) if it is necessary to provide it to our third party service providers, if any, such as data storage providers, who will be subject to strict contractual privacy obligations; or
(d) to protect the safety and security of our users and our Site.
User's consent to our use of personal information
- Our use of the personal information we collect is necessary in order for us to maintain the Site and facilitate users’ use of the Site. We do not collect any unnecessary personal data from users (for instance, their race or religious beliefs).
How long we hold a user’s personal information
- We will retain your information for as long as a RedBalloon account is active or as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve issues, address queries and enforce our agreements. If you no longer wish to use our Site or Services, you may request that your account be deactivated by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or calling our Customer Experience Team on 1300 875 500 (AU) or 0800 555 023 (NZ) .
Keeping a user’s personal information accurate
- The personal information we hold about a user (such as name and email address) is kept so that we may correctly identify that user. Users can update their personal information anytime from within the ‘My Account’ area of the Site.
- We take all reasonable steps to ensure that personal information held by us is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading. If you believe that any of your personal information is not accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading, please contact us (see below) and we will take all reasonable steps to correct it within a reasonable time.
Keeping a user’s personal information secure
- RedBalloon is committed to information security. We will use all reasonable endeavours to keep users’ personal information in a secure environment. For instance, each users’ personal information is encrypted whilst being sent to our server at the time of setting up an account. However, security cannot be guaranteed due to the nature of the internet.
- RedBalloon security measures are designed to assist in ensuring that users’ personal information is not accessed by unauthorised personnel, lost or misused. If you reasonably believe that there has been an unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal information please let us know by contacting our Privacy and Data Protection Officer (contact details below).
- The security of your sensitive financial details is important to us. Credit card details are never stored by RedBalloon. Credit card data is encrypted when being transferred through the payment gateway. Not only are all transactions secured using industry strength SSL encryption but, as additional protection, we also enforce the entry of the 3 or 4 digit credit card security numbers (CVN).
- RedBalloon collects anonymous information about users and the activities of users on the Site. Anonymous information is information that is not linked to the name of a user. This information is used to assist us in enhancing the functionality of the Site and the information remains anonymous at all times.
Collection of Website Activity Information (Cookies)
- RedBalloon collects information about individual users and the activities of Users on the Site. This information is used to assist us in enhancing the functionality of the Site and Services.
- Unless you are a User of RedBalloon who is logged in to a RedBalloon account at the time, this information is not linked to any personal information that the user may provide and cannot be used to identify users. A User may configure their computer so that it disables cookies or does not accept them.
Transfer of your data outside of Australia
- Users’ personal information is uploaded to and kept on servers that we maintain or that are maintained by third parties that comply with strict contractual privacy obligations. It is not otherwise transferred internationally except where a copy is sent to the user at their request. Users consent for their personal information to be transferred and stored in this manner is obtained at the time of registration.
Third Party and Linked Sites
- This web site contains links to other sites. Please be aware that RedBalloon is not responsible for the privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware that when they leave our site to read the privacy statements of each and every web site that collects personally identifiable information. This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by this web site.
How can users access, change or delete their personally identifiable information?
- Users have a right to get a copy from us of the personal information we hold about them. If you wish to receive a copy of this information please address your request to the Privacy and Data Protection Officer (contact details below). We will deal with your request promptly and in any case at least within 30 days of the date of receiving it. We will give access to the information in the manner you request, where reasonable and practicable. This will be subject to any exemptions allowed under the Privacy Act. We will correct or delete inaccurate or incomplete personal information we hold about you at your request.
Privacy and Data Protection Officer
Copyright and Trademarks
- All the material on this website is subject to the copyright of RedBalloon or its third party licensors.
- You must not reproduce any of the material contained on this web site except that you may download a copy of this web site to the local hard drive of the computer used to access the site; and print extracts of this web site, but only for your personal use.
- You are not permitted to copy any of the material on this web site or otherwise incorporate it into or store in any other website, electronic retrieval system, publication or other work in any form; or provide a link to this website from another website without RedBalloon's prior written consent.
- To become an affiliate visit the affiliate section on the website.